Fifty and Fabulous
November 9 – Rangi Ruru Drama Theatre
10 – 2pm
January 15 -19, 2020
Scripts and info from
Rehearsal period break: Dec 20 – Jan 5 (or by negotiation)
A group of five fabulous friends, who met in College and have kept up regular get-togethers, are just about to turn the dreaded 50 years old…and they are not looking forward to it!!! The onset of a mass female Mid-life crisis and the last minute cancelation of a popular singing group for the local fundraiser, sees them hatch a plan to put on a dazzling musical spectacular and show their town that they are not past it and … 50 can be FABULOUS!
Christine– Career woman with no children and no need of a man. The long suffering daughter of Mildred who constantly demands grandchildren! Secretly would like to be swept off her feet by a tall dark stranger but hasn’t met anyone stronger than herself. She is the leader of the girl gang Geraldine –God-faring farming housewife who has never strayed out of the North Island and enjoys the local gossip at church on a Sunday! Married and has had 7 children – 3 of which are still at home.
Dusty – A Café owner currently single. Very flirtatious and always on the lookout for a new man much to Mildred’s disgust! Has a big secret in her past and refuses to admit she is over 35.
Leverne – Empty headed and very naive. Also married her high school sweetheart who left her with the 3 children (one of each and a transgender which she refuses to believe). Sees the good in everyone and doesn’t understand the humour of the other women at all!
Janice –Down trodden housewife with grown up children who have left the coup and she is now left with a cheating husband and Menopause!
Marie –34 year old daughter of Dusty who, we learn, gave her up for adoption and is now on a quest to meet her birth mother.
Ashley – Marie’s 16 year old daughter – Dusty’s Grand-daughter – supporting her mother on her crusade.
Julie – Leverne’s 16 year old daughter who is far more clued up than her mother.
Cynthia –The supposedly dead husband of Leverne who also unexpectedly turns up for a truly dramatic ending to the first half! Was once called Colin but has since `come out’ as a cross-dresser.
Mildred - 84 year old Mother of Christine. A cantankerous old lady who repeatedly `breaks out’ of hospital to meddle in the 5 friends affairs. She wants nothing better than to see Christine get married and have babies!
Brad- Horse Breeder just settled in town–(Brad can take on any rural profession common to the area. The last name of a prominent local family can be substituted) He is a love interest for Dusty
Shirley and Rhonda - Two Avon ladies who double as actresses for Show Sponsor Adverts. Rhonda desperately wants to become a TV Weather girl much to Shirley’s annoyance.
**ALL CAST SING**
1) STAR TREK THEME MUSIC
2) DON’T TURN 50 – (I’LL Never Find Another You) - 5 Fabulous Friends
3) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO – Janice
4) TO SIR WITH LOVE – Geraldine
5) I’M A SINGLE GIRL – Christine
6) THERE’S A KIND OF HUSH – Leverne
7) THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR WALKING – Dusty
8) THEN HE KISSED ME or Shoop Shoop Song- Leverne & Julie
9) LET ME TELL YOU BOUT THE BIRDS AND THE BEES – Marie & Ashley
10) CAN’T TAKE MY EYES OF YOU –Christine & Geraldine
11) I’M INTO SOMETHING GOOD – Brad & Dusty backing.
12) SPLISH SPLASH I WAS HAVING A FLASH – The Five Fifties & Mildred
13) YOU DON’T OWN ME – Dusty
14) DON’T FENCE ME IN - Mildred
15) SWEET TALKIN’ GUY - Ashley, Julie
16) HI HO SILVER LINING – Brad and Cast ………………………………………………………………………….
17) TV theme – I DREAM OF JEANIE – Avon Ladies
18) DOWNTOWN – Marie,Dusty,Ashley
19) SUGAR SUGAR – Brad with Julie, Ashley backing
20) MY BOYFRIENDS BACK or Da Do Do Ron - MUSIC
21) CALIFORNIA DREAMING – ALL
22) SOMETHING STUPID – Brad & Dusty
23) WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW - The 5 Fab 50’s
24) HE’S A REBEL – Marie, Julie, Ashley
25) DAYDREAM BELIEVER – Cynthia with all backing
26) DON’T SLEEP IN THE SUBWAY – Leverne
27) EVERLASTING LOVE – Brad with all backing
28) FINALE – PROUD MARY – ALL CAST
You don't need to be an actor to get involved! If you are interested in any aspect of theatre, we would love for you to join us.
Acting ~ Set Design ~ Backstage ~ Set Construction ~ Administration ~ Sound ~ Set Painting ~ Playwriting ~ Lighting ~ Front of House ~ Directing ~ Wardrobe ~ Publicity ~ Choreography ~ Properties ~ Artwork ~ Poster Design ~ Musician ~ Band ~ Make-up ~ Stage Management